Wednesday, October 20, 2010

First Days in Finland - UNDERGROUND RAVE SPOTS ftw!

Hello All!

warning, some explicit art and language in this post... If your weak, don't watch it..... But you'll really be missing out on the TRUE experience....

First pictures after getting off the plane in Finland :)


 LOOKING A LITTLE FAMILIER.... KIND OF LIKE... UHM.... I DONT KNOW... CALGARY

Great to be back in blogging mode again isn't it ? I guess it really stems from the mass amount of material I have to cover in these last 5-6 days before I arrive home. In regards to Finland, there's quite a bit that went on today that awed me beyhond belief. I actually drained a camera battery in one day by taking loads of pictures and video of the places we saw. Currently I am staying with a friend I met online much like Acolyte. Tuomas and his girlfriend both live in Tampere Finland and I originally met Tuomas aka Zutsuu on the same website I met Acolyte (http://www.globalhardcore.net). This is a great place for linking with people who like hardcore as well, ALL OVER THE WORLD.

 This is where I'm staying right now :) I love their house, so compact and cute


YES AMAZING FINNISH SAUNA ! SO CUTOMARY AND TRADITIONS I LOVED IT



Anyways,  today I spent some of the day studying, but when 3 oclock rolled around I went down to pick up Zutsuu from work with his girlfriend. Tuomas had an action packed day of sight seeing planned that I was completely un aware of until I had arrived to meet him. We were on our way to visit the "Anarchist Central" of Finland as he explained it. He explained that during 1917 and 18 there was a cival war between the "whites" and "reds" (red's being communist and whites being anarchists), we were going to visit where the old "whites" used to live and to this day still hold some residence in higher end parts. Another side note that REALLY intrigued me was the fact that Zutsuu has actually played and arranged UNDERGROUND raves in these abandoned area's. This was an absolute dream  come true for me, I'd always wondered if and where a place like so existed and I was about to find out.

































































The amount of broken wood, glass and rusty nails that covered the floors were extreme but the overall vibe of the buildings seemed to keep me calm in a way. I didn't feel scared or in danger, I felt happy and pleasent. These places were home to many hardcore, industrial and psy trance parties that happened yearly. The buildings were abondoned but yet inhabited. By what? I'm not sure... There was scraps and remains of some squatters possibly living in these buildings but for the most part the floor was covered in flourished party gear and leftovers. I awed at this place. It was really how hardcore SHOULD be in my eyes, the commercial hardcore scene these days is great and nice for the massive light shows and amazing sound systems, but I long for a party in an abondoned warehouse on the outskirts of Europe. THIS is where hardcore began, and THIS is where I long to play. Tuomas and I have already vowed to throw another underground party here and plan it for when I come back to Europe. Which by the way... Wont be long, and next time. FOR MUCH LONGER.



In this video we go through 2 buildings in the abandoned lot, however off video we went through about 6 others up and down floor to floor to floor. One has to wonder, what went on here? why are these spots abondoned? Why hasn't the government torn them down and who, if anyone calls this place home? Like a little kid in a candy shop I let my eyes and legs run wild, snapping photo's everywhere. This was, my absolute FAVORITE part of my trip. Just everything about it. Amazing.




SLOT MACHINES AT THE CHECK OUTS OF THE SUPER MARKET.... YOU KNOW JUST INCASE.... LOL


















 THIS WAS FRESH SPRING WATER. SEE THAT BOTTLE ? I DRANK IT. FROM THE EARTH :O
 SOOOOOOOOO GOOD SOOOOOO FRESH





 CREEPY ?













Aside from the awesome-ness of this abondoned industial area which I've ranted on a little too much about lol, Finland is really beautiful. As I have stated numerous times on facebook, it reminds me VERY much of Calgary or Canada. We are right on the coast (kind of like Vancouver) and the weather is kind of crappy right now like calgary and the architecture is much the same. Aside from that, their McDonalds resteraunts aren't all like MEGA high class like elsewhere in Europe, also bus's are more constant AND there's a wide variety of people. In other countries I didn't see very many punks, emo's gothics etc.. as I have here, it reminds me of home were the city is very diverse. Tuomas explained to me that of all places in Finland it is definately the most diverse here. I like it, its my HOME before HOME lol.

MY SHOW IS ON FRIDAY, 2 days away! Very Excited! I will be filming it all on my HD Drive VideoCam. I brought it especially for this show.

Hope you enjoyed this post :)
I s hould have one more post from Finland after my show ( maybe when Im at airport OR when I arrive in Amsterdam again )
So stay watchin the blog! I like writing as much as you like reading. =) Cheers from Finland!!

CK

2 comments:

  1. Okay so during that video was when I was expecting to see some Hostel-like action...like the part where you get abducted and throw in the basement of that building, etc.

    It looks cold there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's some corrections to facts:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War
    Started in 1918 (I always forget this). The reds were communists and the whites were conservatives. The anarchists came later to that area with the punk movement etc.

    Also, Tampere is not the most diverse city in Finland, but perhaps the most diverse after Helsinki :).

    ReplyDelete