Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Leaving Dortmund, Hello Katowice Poland!

 Hello All !



Today was kind of a mixed up day, I had a lot of negative feelings leaving Germany so soon, I wished I would have had more time to explore and immurse myself more into the culture. I haven't really ever wanted or thought of going to Poland, so it was kind of a disapointment to leave somewhere I had longed for, to somewhere that I knew nothing about. Anyways, trying to be as open minded as I could, I boarded the plane from the dortmund airport to Katowice, Poland. I was flying with a really low budget air line, they go by the name of "WizzAir"... No I'm not lying lol, thats the name of the airline, and for good reason. Rude staff, Late departure & everything costed money on the plane lol... Meh, I guess thats what you get for cheap air-fare.

First glance getting off the plane, looked like rural B.C... But then I realized I had to take a bus to the main downtown... I thought hmmmmmm, probably be better when I get downtown... WRONG. lol.




I arrived downtown and immediatly notice a SERIOUS difference in ... well... ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. I have many Polish friends back home and I am very surprised to see where they came from. The area in poland where I am, it seems there is a serious amount of poverty, dirt, horrible infastructre and mold. . . IT just seems, smells and looks dirty ... Everywhere. Buildings are decaying, loose gravel and cement, broken glass and windows. I literally feel like I went back in time 50 years. Immediatly after getting off the bus I was asked within 10 minutes by 3 homeless people for change or ciggarettes. Odd... In holland I hadnt encountered this problem once.. Nor Germany. 













The one thing I will say in regards to Poland which is quite peculiar, is the amount of attractive women. IT seems there is no inbetween, women here are either VERY gorgeous, or drop dead hideous. Regardless it was odd to see such a under-developed country have such beautiful women. They make the polish language sound sexy :p. . . . I think Polish men got the shit end of the stick with looks lmao.

If I wasn't coming to meet my label manager Acolyte and fellow Label resident Bozz, I would never EVER come here again.







FINE WITH ME HAHAHAHA

Curently I am staying in a hostel for about 12 CAD a night. the polish dollar is 0.3 of our dollars so a little goes a LONG way if you have canadian money. Thats the one nice part I think. I meet with Acolyte and stay in his apartment over the weekend. And to be honest after the weekend I think I might get the hell out of this place. I cant stand it.

Anyways, lol try to make the best of it. Im excited to party and link with my label friends. Will talk soon all! 

Cheers
Curtis

5 comments:

  1. Awww I'm sad to hear you were upset about leaving Germany. Just keep in mind if that's where you want to be you can always go back and stay longer next time.

    I find your observations interesting. And you thought Jamaica was bad for begging and dirt and underdevelopment. See there are places like that all over the world....we are fortunate in Canada.

    Excellent post Curtis, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well in Jamaica it was different. Like it seemed to be more acceptable there and I dont know it just fit... In Poland I would have never expected it. I wonder if Russia, and finland are like this too ? Finland is part of the "Scandanavian" countires in Europe aswell (likepoland) so I guess I'll have to see. (atleast i think it is)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more you travel the more you'll find there's hard times and poverty everywhere. You're learning so much out there! Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curtis I am so glad you are having fun!! You are definitely doing something I have always wanted to do.

    Miss-Reeva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scandinavian countries are Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Iceland and Finland are also sometimes included depending on the context, but my personal opinion is that Finland is just "a Nordic country", because Finnish language is quite different from that of the other Nordic languages which belong to Germanic languages.
    In Finland you won't really find dirt and underdevelopment, though it might come as a shock to some people that there are lots of trees and nature here. Education and healthcare are basically free and one can still get along even if there are no jobs. In some city centers there are sometimes beggars from poorer European countries, because they know that people are better off here. I think a bigger problem is that many local people like alcohol more than they should.
    I think you should keep in mind though that what you see now in Poland can potentially become reality even in Canada sometime in the future, seeing how the debt keeps rising and the middle class gets poorer in "1st world countries".
    I don't know what the law is in Holland or Germany, but here they are trying to pass a law which would make "organized begging" (I think practically any begging on the street) illegal. This is just wiping the real problems under a carpet though.
    Regarding Russia I would guess it is kind of similar to Poland, but it really depends on the area since there are extremely poor and extremely rich people in Russia. In Finland the gap isn't very big compared to that, but it's getting bigger all the time.
    Anyway, have fun in Poland! Are you playing there?

    ReplyDelete